January 15, 2012

Flounder (Finland) - Demo II 1989




Flounder was certainly one of the weirdest bands in the late 80's Finnish metal scene. Experimental? Yes. Avantgarde? Yes. Weird jazzy bits here & there? Hell yeah. All of that mixed with thrash metal. It's still very entertaining stuff if you like unusual stuff. After making four demos Flounder did an EP in 1992 and then vanished. I was a huge Voivod fan in the Eighties - I still am actually - and Flounder reminded me of them somehow. The were not a clone band or anything like that but their weird song structures and the guitar playing reminds me of the Canadian masters of weirdness. And also like Voivod, Flounder is not for everyone but something else. An acquired taste. It's either Art or Incoherent Bullshit. It depends on the listener, of course.

This is Flounder's second demo and yes, it's fucking strange. That probably describes it well enough. Like it or not, at least it's not yet another generic thrash metal demo. This one's also known as "Virtahevonkakkaa!!!" demo. That's something like "Hippopotamus poo!!!" in English, in case you were wondering WTF is that supposed to mean. ;)

PS. Two members of Flounder later appeared in the legendary Finnish Death Metal band Convulse. Flounder's guitar player Aki Yli-Salomäki is apparently these days an award winning composer of classical music and all these great arty things I don't know much about...

Flounder - Demo II 1989

1. Intro Visuvedelle 1:30
2. Soprano & 8 Cellos 5:41
3. Ulterior Ramification 3:17
4. Paunch of Pauper 5:03
5. Inorganic Crystallization 4:34

Download (mp3, 320 kbps)!

4 comments:

  1. Well, Sir, this really is one of my cups of tea!! Hectical, dissonant harmonies, driving, rocking, jazzy... I'll try listening to this one when having my next hangover - I also used to do this for years with "Dimension Hatröss"; the perfect hangover-sound, believe me! Hahahaha!!!
    Seriously, strange strange music, but I like it very much! Thanx for sharing again, and looking forward to their other demo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great stuff for sure and I'm certain most late Eighties Voivod fans would like it if they only ever got to hear it. I have the other demo tape waiting next to my computer at the moment and I'm quite sure it will be the next one I'll rip and upload.

    When?

    Soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you reupload this ? And the MCD too if possible =) ?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Has anyone the Manifesto Ep?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete